A crown of thorns always hangs on a cross beside The San Jose de Gracia Church, also known as Church of Santo Tomas Del Rio de Las Trampas, on the high road to Taos at Las Trampas. Built between 1960 and 1775, it's one of the oldest surviving 18th century churches. There are still folks up in that area who speak Castillian Spanish, direct from the Conquistadores' entrada in the late 1500s.
The shadow of the cross is omnipresent on our favorite journey in New Mexico is up the High Road to Taos to ancient Spanish villages and churches, including Chimayo, destination of Holy Week pilgrimages and holy dirt; Truchas; and Las Trampas.
|Inside El Santuario de Chimayo near the beginning of the High Road where there is holy dirt|
|Cemetery at Truchas on the High Road to Taos before Las Trampas|
|Crosses at the ruined pueblo church at Taos Pueblo at the end of the High Road|
|Somewhere on the High Road|