What started off as a text-heavy journal the first year, modeled on a newspaper personal column seems to have evolved, as has the blogger. This is only the 136th post this year, ranking it in the lower half of those years. It was almost comatose in 2016, and what has saved it this year has been watercolor.
|July paintings tuckered out me, Sophie and Snoops|
I'm not so concerned about quantity, but know most blogs dry up and don't last this long because they cease to have quality content consistently. and it's not a niche blog, that makes money, so that makes it more difficult to have a voice, a reason to even sit down and compose.
What also saved it through the years was creating and teaching a semester-by-semester blogging course at UCO, which was motivation--you have to do what you teach. But with retirement, that has also changed, as has my urge to write--writing well and blogging well takes time and commitment, and focus.
It has been a year of looking back, and exploring the future. The blog will change even more in 2018, if it survives, as retirement sets in. But there are more stories to tell, more paintings to go with them.
Favorite, or best posts of the year?
- November, and September--farewells to newspaper friends Ray Lokey, Steve Booher, respectively.
- June--Riding in the classic aircraft, Ford Tri-motor, 3 parts
- May--Mother's Day, 3 parts; last graduation, 2 parts
- April--My retirement reception, 7 parts
- February--Why do you teach? 2 parts
- January--Retirement clock
- December and July--31 daily watercolors.
Countries with the most all-time readers:United States-- 146,300+
Number of posts of the years:2017--136--December, 36
2015 --136--December 26
2010--292, December, 9
2009--339, December 47
Here are the 150 countries with readers.Actually there might be more, but I lost track of checking it every day this year. This is the list from last year:
- Africa--Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Togo, Ghana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria, Tunisia, Gabon, South Africa, Mali, Mauritus, Mauritania, Cameroonx, Zambia, Mozambique, South Sudan, Senegal, Benin, Angola, Botswana, --26
- Asia--Russia, China, Taiwan, Cambodia, S Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, India, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, Kazahkstan, Azerbaijan, Japan, Mongolia, Armenia, Georgia, Nepal, Uzbekistan, Macau, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Burma (Myamar), -26
- Caribbean--Caymans, Sint Maartin, Trinidad and Tobago, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, The Bahamas, Anguilla, Netherlands Antilles, St. Kitts and Nevis, Bermuda-11
- Central America--Panama, Guatemala, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador-5
- Europe--UKx, Isle of Man, Francex, Spainx, Germanyx, Italyx, Switzerlandx, Monaco, Czech Republicx, Polandx, Croatia, Greecex, Macedonia, Netherlandsx, Icelandx, Norwayx, Swedenx, Denmarkx, Finlandx, Latviax, Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, Ukrainex, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Austria, Sloveniax, Belgium, Irelandx, Bulgariax, Turkey, Portugal, Luxemborg, Slovakiax, Albania,Slovenia, Leichtenstein, Montenegro-42
- Indian Ocean--Maldives, Seychelles-2
- Mediterranean--Maltax, Cyprus,-2
- MidEast--Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, UAE, Kuwait,Qatar, Bahrain, Palestine, Lebanon, Oman, Yemen-, Syria-14
- North America--US, Canada, Mexico-3
- Oceana--Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, Indonesia, Guam, New Caledonia, Fiji-7
- South America--Colombia, Peru, Chili, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Bolivia, Paraguay-12